Since its launch in October 2016 EasyAngle was used in more than 27 research projects globally, including doctoral dissertations, and bachelor or master’s projects. In recent years (from 2019) the number of those studies steadily increased, almost tripling in number, as seen in Figure 1. This resulted in a solid evidence base for its use in research, as well as in clinical settings. Nine key projects examine the device’s reliability, validity, and usability, while most of the projects (18 of them) EasyAngle was used as a measurement instrument. In this blogpost, we analyze both of those study categories and summarize the evidence in tables. The data presented in figures and tables were collected in October 2022, using Google Scholar, PubMed, and PEDro web search engines, as well as Meloq internal research database. Unpublished studies are available on request, while published are accessible via their online journals.
Studies directly examining EasyAngle reliability, validity, and usabilityKey evidence regarding the use of EasyAngle is based in 9 studies. The main goal of those was to examine EasyAngle as a novel Range of Motion measurement instrument. Most of the studies were conducted as part of the doctoral dissertations and were not published, while 4 were published in an Indexed journals. The overview is shown in Table 1. where it is visible that majority of authors report high/good or excellent reliability, validity and usability. For better visualization of the findings view Figure 2.
Studies in which EasyAngle was used as a measurement instrumentEasyAngle was used as a measurement device in 18 studies, from 2015 to 2022. Out of those, 15 were published (10,11,20–25,12–19), and 3 were thesis projects (10,26,27). The fact about increasing the use of EasyAngle in research projects indicates that academics in various fields chose EasyAngle as their measurement instrument, basing their decision on the excellent findings of the key nine projects.
Ongoing projectsIn 2021, together with 6 research groups, we started several new projects in strategically chosen fields that haven’t been studied yet. Those projects are in different stages of completion. The news about those will be posted on Meloq platforms upon publication.
Looking forwardInnovation of medical technology is achievable only through high-quality research and an evidence-based approach. Six years of EasyAngle on the market and the collaborative efforts of researchers have yielded an increase in evidence behind the most versatile goniometer on the market today. We will continue to work towards building a strong evidence base behind our technology with a vision of becoming the number one supplier of assessment equipment in rehabilitation and sports performance fields.
- Svensson M, Lind V, Löfgren Harringe M. Measurement of knee joint range of motion with a digital goniometer: A reliability study. Physiother Res Int [Internet]. 2019 Apr 1 [cited 2022 Oct 4];24(2):e1765. Available from: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/pri.1765
- Silverson OA, Lemaster NG, Hettrich CM, Heebner NR, Uhl TL. Reliability and Validity of a Clinical Assessment Tool for Measuring Scapular Motion in All 3 Anatomical Planes. J Athl Train [Internet]. 2021;56(6):586–93. Available from: www.natajournals.org
- Luedtke K, Schoettker-Königer T, Hall T, Enns C, Grassold M, Hasselhoff-Styhler P, et al. Concurrent validity and reliability of measuring range of motion during the cervical flexion rotation test with a novel digital goniometer. BMC Musculoskelet Disord [Internet]. 2020 Aug 11 [cited 2022 Oct 4];21(1):1–10. Available from: https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12891-020-03525-6
- Bergh A, Lauridsen NG, Hesbach AL. Concurrent Validity of Equine Joint Range of Motion Measurement: A Novel Digital Goniometer versus Universal Goniometer. Anim an Open Access J from MDPI [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2022 Oct 4];10(12):1–9. Available from: /pmc/articles/PMC7767303/
- Pontier J, Ficheux G, Fattal C. Usability and reliability of a new goniometer tool based on an intertial sensor unit [Internet]. Kinésithérapie scientifique. 2019 [cited 2022 Oct 4]. p. 1–9. Available from: https://www.maisondeskines.com/article/11412-utilisabilite-et-fiabilite-d-un-nouvel-outil-goniometrique-a-centrale-inertielle
- Fröjd K. Validity and Inter-operator reliability using EasyAngle for mobility measurement of people with hip osteoarthritis [Internet]. Uppsala universitet; 2016. Available from: https://docplayer.se/34827844-Validitet-samt-interbedomarreliabilitet-gallande-det-digitala-matinstrumentet-easyangle-vid-rorlighetsmatning-hos-personer-med-hoftartros.html
- Eriksson J, Jonasson E. Inter- and intraraterreliability when measuring an elbow joint with the electronic goniometer EasyAngle [Internet]. Umeå Universitet; 2019. Available from: https://meloqdevices.com/pages/inter-and-intraraterreliability
- Köcker S. Accordance and practicability of the new medical device EasyAngle in comparison to the current gold standard CROM and the Iphone App Compass for Measuring the cervical spine rotation in healthy participants [Internet]. Weiterbildung in orthopädischer manueller Therapie nach den Standards der IFOMPT; 2017. Available from: https://meloqdevices.com/pages/accordance-and-practicability-of-the-new-medical-device-easyangle-in-comparison-to-the-current-gold-standard-crom-and-the-iphone-app-compass-for-measuring-the-cervical-spine-rotation-in-healthy-participants
- Van de Velde S, Van de Vyvere C, Van Muylem A. Measuring shoulder external and internal rotation strength and range of motion: Comprehensive intra-rater and inter-rater reliability study of several testing protocols [Internet]. Ghent University; 2019 [cited 2022 Oct 4]. Available from: http://www.jshoulderelbow.org/article/S1058274614000378/fulltext
- Bergez N, Bernaers L, Billens A. Assessment of shoulder girdle variables in elite wheelchair athletes in a clinical setting, and the influence of a 12-week shoulder exercise programme - a cohort study [Internet]. Ghent University - Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences; 2018. Available from: https://meloqdevices.com/pages/assessment-of-shoulder-girdle-variables-in-elite-wheelchair-athletes-and-the-influence-of-a-12-week-shoulder-exercise-program
- Jung W-K, Lee S-M, Ahn S-H, Park J. Development and assessment of a knitted shape memory alloy-based multifunctional elbow brace. J Ind Text. 2019;51(2S):1989–2009.
- Fredriksen H, Cools A, Bahr R, Myklebust G. Does an effective shoulder injury prevention program affect risk factors in handball? A randomized controlled study. Scand J Med Sci Sport. 2020;30(8):1423–33.
- Decleve P, Attar T, Benameur T, Gaspar V, Van Cant J, Cools AM. The “upper limb rotation test”: Reliability and validity study of a new upper extremity physical performance test. Phys Ther Sport [Internet]. 2020;42:118–23. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2020.01.009
- Pfluegler G, Borkovec M, Kasper J, Mclean S. The immediate effects of passive hip joint mobilization on hip abductor/external rotator muscle strength in patients with anterior knee pain and impaired hip function. A randomized, placebo-controlled crossover trial. J Man Manip Ther [Internet]. 2020;29(1):14–22. Available from: https://www.tandfonline.com/action/journalInformation?journalCode=yjmt20
- Schäfer AGM, Schöttker-Königer T, Hall TM, Mavroidis I, Roeben C, Schneider M, et al. Upper cervical range of rotation during the flexion-rotation test is age dependent: an observational study. Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis [Internet]. 2020 [cited 2022 Oct 4];12:1–9. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33193833/
- Rabin A, Tabi BR, Uhl TL, Kozol Z. Bending the Elbow During Shoulder Flexion Facilitates Greater Scapular Upward Rotation and a More Favorable Scapular Muscle Activation Pattern. J Sport Rehabil [Internet]. 2021 Oct 23 [cited 2022 Oct 4];31(2):146–51. Available from: https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/jsr/31/2/article-p146.xml
- Papen A, Schöttker-Königer T, Schäfer A, Morrison F, Hollinger B, Burkhart KJ, et al. Reliability, validity and critical appraisal of the cross-cultural adapted German version of the Mayo Elbow Performance Score (MEPS-G). J Orthop Surg Res [Internet]. 2021;17:328. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1186/s13018-022-03210-5
- Nyawose ZZ, Naidoo R. The effect of an eight-week shoulder rehabilitation intervention programme on pain and function, range of motion and muscle strength among teachers: A pilot study. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2021;34(1):49–58.
- Baiget E, Colomar J, Corbi F. Upper-Limb Force–Time Characteristics Determine Serve Velocity in Competition Tennis Players. Int J Sports Physiol Perform [Internet]. 2021 Nov 18 [cited 2022 Oct 4];17(3):358–66. Available from: https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/ijspp/17/3/article-p358.xml
- Lemaster NG, Hettrich CM, Jacobs CA, Heebner N, Westgate PM, Mair S, et al. Which Risk Factors Are Associated with Pain and Patient-reported Function in Patients with a Rotator Cuff Tear? Clin Orthop Relat Res [Internet]. 2021 Sep 1 [cited 2022 Oct 4];479(9):1982–92. Available from: https://journals.lww.com/clinorthop/Fulltext/2021/09000/Which_Risk_Factors_Are_Associated_with_Pain_and.20.aspx
- Yoshida R, Yasuda T, Kuruma H. Analysis of cervical and upper thoracic spinal segmental rotation angles during end-range neck rotation: Comparison with and without neck pain. J Man Manip Ther [Internet]. 2022 [cited 2022 Oct 4]; Available from: https://www.tandfonline.com/action/journalInformation?journalCode=yjmt20
- Kim M, Kuruma H, Thawisuk C. Effectiveness of elongation band exercise on the upper limb strength and range of motion among older adults. J Exerc Rehabil [Internet]. 2022;18(2):110–6. Available from: https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.2244080.040
- Imaz F, Barone M, Bordachar D, Orlando de Oliveira I, Intelangelo L. Effects of an exercise program plus manual therapy in a patient with failed neck surgery syndrome: A case report. J Bodyw Mov Ther [Internet]. 2022 Sep 22 [cited 2022 Oct 4]; Available from: https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1360859222001152
- Fujisaki K, Akasaka K, Otsudo T, Hattori H, Hasebe Y, Hall T. Risk Factors for Groin Pain in Male High School Soccer Players Undergoing an Injury Prevention Program: A Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial. Trauma Care [Internet]. 2022; Available from: https://doi.org/10.3390/traumacare2020020
- Zumbrunnen V, Riegler TF, Haile SR, Radtke T. The impact of seat height on 1-min sit-to-stand test performance in COPD: a randomised crossover trial. ERJ Open Res [Internet]. 2022 [cited 2022 Oct 4];8(00033–2022). Available from: https://doi.org/10.1183/23120541.00033-2022
- Brinkeback E, Lundqvist E. Straight leg lift test reliability - the effect of dynamic stretching on muscle extensibility in female horse riders [Internet]. Karolinska Institutet; 2015. Available from: https://meloqdevices.com/pages/straight-leg-raise
27. Risberg P. Relationship between hip mobility and trunk rotation in professional golfers. Umeå University; 2017.